Finding your passions

 

Music lifestyle before I became a life coach 

Each of us has a passion in life and we enjoy them. Often I’ve known people who have passion for art or music. For me I loved music more than art but I still liked art but not as much as I love being a life coach and helping you all. 

1. Be curious, pay attention, and be open to new things

Open your eyes to your world around you. Watch for things that inspire or interest you. Are there any activities going on around you, that you’d love to get involved in? Is there anyone you know who is doing something really interesting? For me I studied life coaching because I am passionate about it. 

I often liken this process to a treasure hunt. It’s really fun to just play around with possible interests. 

2. Watch for needs and causes that you are passionate about

The passions that add the most to our lives and the lives of others are those that help to (literally) make the world a better place. For me personally I want to help people through my coaching journey. It added so much joy to my life, at a time when I really needed that. And it felt good knowing I have helped someone overcome depression. But I did it mostly for me.

By comparison, this passionate vocation that I have, which helps others to recover from burnout, improve their mental health, and boosts the overall quality of peoples’ lives, is a much more satisfying, purposeful pursuit. 

3. Look back at your childhood for inspiration

During my season of burnout, I do something artistic. As I do them joyfully painting or drawing, I remembered that I’d once been an artistic person. The memory hit me like a lightning strike when I was in the music industry in the past. Because of that memory, I play songs that get me in flow.

What did you love doing as a kid? What were you obsessed with? For me art and music was mine. What did you want to “become”? Is there a way that as an adult you can reconnect with any of those activities?

4. Notice and pursue activities that make you lose track of time

Losing yourself in an activity (aka “flow”) is a big clue to something you should spend more time doing. Flow-producing activities can improve well-being and reduce stress, both of which are important for those of us who are recovering from a difficult year.

5. Start small and keep it fun

After the past year, the last thing we need is more pressure. Pick something you really love to do, and make time for it in your life, whatever you can manage. Even just a small amount of time spent, regularly doing something you love, will make your whole life feel better.

6. Protect what matters by making it a priority

For many of us, the pandemic illuminated our true priorities. We discovered that we could, and wanted to, live differently. When I coach people (particularly if they're feeling overwhelmed), I often suggest making a list of their top four priorities in life. Give this a try. It’s your list; you decide what goes on it.

As life and work start to return to a new normal, protect your newfound priorities or passions on a daily basis. Keep that priority list top of mind. Create a note or reminder of your top four list on your phone, and refer to it every morning.

This will make it far more likely that you prioritize and protect what really matters. I would hope (and anticipate) that there is at least one thing on that list that you are truly passionate about.

Questions to ask yourself 

1. If you throw something out into the community, what would it be?

2. What lights you up? 

3. Are you passionate about your work? 

4. As a child, what did you want to be when you grow up? 

5. What life experiences have you had? 

6. What do you love doing? (It can be art or music or anything)

7. What is interesting about you? 

8. What do you want to learn more about? 

I know music and art was mine. So what’s your passion? 

Lori from Lifesuccessnz xx

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

8 universal truths to inner peace

Fighting Brain Fog

Unlocking your full potential: A guide to self-improvement