💭 How to Change Your Inner Critic with CBT

 



💭 How to Change Your Inner Critic with CBT

Turn self-judgment into self-support

We all have an inner voice — that running commentary in our heads. But sometimes that voice becomes harsh, judgmental, and deeply critical. That’s your inner critic — the voice that says:

  • “You’re not good enough.”

  • “You always mess things up.”

  • “Who do you think you are?”

This voice can hold you back, damage your confidence, and keep you stuck in fear or self-doubt. But the good news? You can change it.

Using Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT), you can start retraining your mind to become your ally — not your enemy.

🔍 Step 1: Notice the Inner Critic

The first step is awareness. Most of us are so used to negative self-talk that we don’t even notice it anymore.

Try this:

  • Pay attention to the voice in your head when you make a mistake or feel uncertain. It can mess with you.

  • Ask: What did I just say to myself?

  • Write it down to see it clearly.

📓 Example:
“I can’t believe I said that. I’m so stupid.”

💡 Step 2: Identify the Thought Distortion

CBT teaches us that our thoughts aren’t always facts. They’re often distorted by fear, shame, or past experiences.

Common distortions include:

  • All-or-nothing thinking: “If I fail once, I’m a total failure.”

  • Labeling: “I’m an idiot.”

  • Mind reading: “They probably think I’m annoying.”

  • Catastrophizing: “If I mess this up, everything will go wrong.”

🧠 Ask yourself:

  • Is this 100% true?

  • Would I say this to a friend?

  • What’s a more balanced way to see this?

🔁 Step 3: Reframe with Self-Compassion

Now, challenge and reframe that inner critic using a more helpful thought — one that’s grounded, kind, and realistic.

📓 Original thought: “I’m so stupid.”
✅ Reframed thought: “I made a mistake, but that doesn’t define me. I’m learning.”

📓 Original thought: “No one will ever want me.”
✅ Reframed thought: “I feel lonely right now, but that doesn’t mean I’m unlovable.”

You’re not lying to yourself — you’re telling the whole truth, not just the fear-based version.

🔁 Step 4: Repeat Until It Feels Real

Changing your inner voice is like building a muscle. At first, it feels fake or forced. But the more you practice, the more natural it becomes.

Try this:

  • Use affirmations that feel true and grounded.

  • Keep a list of helpful thoughts to read daily.

  • Speak to yourself like you would to someone you love.

Over time, your inner critic will lose power — and your inner coach will grow stronger.

🧠 Final Thought:

You don’t have to silence your inner critic completely — you just need to stop believing everything it says. With CBT, you can create a mindset that supports growth, healing, and confidence.

You are not your harshest thoughts.
You are the person learning to rise above them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Self-Improvement for 2026: Building Your Best Year Yet

Building Self-Confidence & Resilience kiwi style

Change your Self-Beliefs